Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Skype :)

So originally when I was thinking about using Skype in the classroom, I thought I could Skype back and forth with other Spanish classes at Branson, and I do still feel like that would be fun, but then I looked at Skype in Education.  I can search for and "expert" in Spanish and get pages and pages of possibilities to Skype with.  This would be a great alternative to "pen pals" although I'm not sure how I would get students to one-on-one skype with someone else until we get a new lab.  I think I may have to stick with the classroom as a whole for right now.  This would be great to help students get a better idea of different accents in different regions and allow them to better experience the culture.

There are also "language exchanges" available online where you can find native speakers to talk with for free via Skype, which is very similar to this.  It would be great if we had the devices for everyone, but it could also be something offered during pirate time to those who want extra practice.  It would be worth it just to let students know it's out there for them to grab hold of.

I also think Skype will be a great tool for our foreign language teachers and students to use during trips abroad.  This summer the high school is offering a trip to Costa Rica and next summer to Spain.  I think this would be a great way for teachers and students to touch base back home, assuming that they had a device with skype installed and were on wifi.  I am excited about the possibilities with it.

1 comment:

  1. That would be so great to do almost a foreign exchange experience through Skype! I can see this being a great resource for foreign language teachers. It might also be a great resource for a history lesson too. Great ideas Jen!

    ReplyDelete