Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thing 20 - Exploring additional tools

This week I explored wordle, letterpop, mebeam and aviary.

I actually had a lot of trouble with the Web 2.0 literacy tools links working.  A lot went to things that were no longer available.. but this is what I looked at.  Letterpop is a newsletter maker that makes it easy to share said newsletters, only problem is you have to get a subscription.  Mebeam is a way to video conference for free over the internet, but we've already learned about using skype for that.  Aviary is a photo editor available as an app or a widget.  I am choosing to go in depth with wordle.

Well, my plan would be to use Wordle to create a graphic that displays current vocab in my classroom, the samples I saw on the website were really cool, but after I typed in all the vocab (you can even keep phrases together by using "~" instead of a space between words), it wouldn't load.  I believe my java is up-to-date, but I guess I'm going to have to try it at school.  I would like to make one and post it on here.

Ideally this tool would serve as a graphic to maybe preview the vocab for a new chapter or to have as a bit of a cool-looking reminder (up until quiz day that is).  It's just nice to have material presented in a more visually pleasing way :).

UPDATE: I got it to work at school, so here is a wordle of my Spanish 2's current vocab.  I think it would be nice to have somewhere in the room (up until a test at least) as a nice visual.



No comments:

Post a Comment